Friday, July 9, 2010

Modernist Friday: Ese gran don Ramón con las barbas de chivo


Today's modernist is my man Ramón María del Valle-Inclán. He's basically been the modernist Santa Claus for a while: giant white beard, twinkling eyes, quevedos, adorable Galician accent, obsession with the distortion and emptiness of modern life which could eventually only be expressed through puppets...wait, what? I guess I can go with that. But if don Ramón was hoping to be eternal for his sins, it seems like he's made the cut. Apparently he's a superhero who battles evil flower-sellers now! People are even dressing up as the lightning-powered superhero version of him, part of a whole team of Ibéroes defending the peninsula from danger (and only some of them are made out of jello). ¡Admirable!, indeed!

2 comments:

  1. ohmygod it's finally letting me post comments. I'm going back to Italo Calvino right now.

    ReplyDelete