Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Transitional Tuesday: The Rooster Who Pretended to be Jorge Luis Borges*




or Emily Thomas, author of Pierre Menard, autor del Quijote.



Today I've decided to rewrite Borges' Pierre Menard, author of the Quijote, as my own creation. Borges will be playing the role of a very old, hispanic Thom Yorke. The computer Alpha 60 will play the role of his mysterious lover. Both will be happy transitional figures. I'll get back to you when it's complete!

*With belated but very sincere apologies to Jaime Perales Contreras, the author of a great story with a great title. Let us know if you'd like us to change the title, but for now I'll encourage our readers (who, as always, may or may not exist), to check out the first part of "El gallo que fingió ser Jorge Luis Borges," or "The Rooster who Pretended to be Jorge Luis Borges" in the current issue of Américas magazine. (That's July/August 2010). It's brand new and has been up for some awards, you can read it in English or Spanish, and who could say no to that title? (Also, Jaime Perales Contreras has read our blog. This is a serious milestone. Sorry you had to read the post that didn't make sense, Mr. Perales!)

6 comments:

  1. Alpha 60?? Does that mean Monsieur Ivor Johnson (actualment Lemmy Caution) will be there? Also, I call dibs on writing Emily Thomas, author of Pierre Menard, autor del Quijote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Because they both love Borges. I will be playing the role of Natascha von Braun if and only if I don't get the swine flu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Hello

    My name is Jaime Perales Contreras and I am the author of the short story called "The Rooster who Pretended to be Jorge Luis Borges". I hopefully expect and wish that you are not a "happy post plagiarist".

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I'm shocked and kind of flattered that you're reading our ridiculous blog, Mr. Perales, and I wish it was under better circumstances. I've given you credit for the wonderful title of this post, but just let me know if you'd like me to change it altogether. Thanks for contacting us and very sorry if we've caused any trouble.

    ReplyDelete